Newcomers Ho’ike

New to Hawai'i? Come and join in the fun at this weekly orientation workshop. Learn about community resources and Hawaiian culture presented by ACS. Workshops are held every Thursday, from 9:00 a.m. to 12:25 p.m. at Nehelani. FMWR Marketing is pleased to welcome you and your family with a complimentary Buffet lunch offered immediately following your mandatory Family and MWR briefing. During the Family and MWR lunch you will have a chance to win awesome prizes, plus $100 in cash!

Please contact the Schofield Army Community Service (ACS) at (808) 655-1699 to sign-up!  MWR’s Army Community Service (ACS) is available to assist personnel relocation and address other quality of life issues.

Army Community Service (ACS)
Building 2091
Schofield Barracks
Phone (808) 655-4227
Click to email

They’re there to help. Check the ACS section on our Web Site.
In addition here are some general tips to make your transition to Hawaii a smooth one:



Island Palm Communities LLC (Island Palm Communities) is a partnership between developer Actus Lend Lease and the U.S. Army. The partnership represents the Department of Defense’s largest military family housing privatization project, and no other matches its complexity and scale. Innovative design and technologies, including the use of photovoltaic systems, will make Island Palm Communities among the largest solar-powered communities in the world. Learn more

Animal Quarantine

Hawaii is a rabies free state. Hawaii's quarantine law is designed to protect residents and pets from potentially serious health problems associated with the presence and spread of rabies. Success of the quarantine program is dependent on maintaining isolation of your pet from other animals for the required quarantine period.

Importation of dogs, cats and other carnivores into Hawaii is governed by Chapter 4-29 of the State of Hawaii, Department of Agriculture Administrative Rules. This law says that these animals are required to complete a 120-day confinement in the State Animal Quarantine Station. If specific pre-arrival and post-arrival requirements are met, animals may qualify for a 30-day quarantine or a new 5-day-or-less quarantine that became effective on June 30, 2003. Qualifications for Hawaii residents with pets and reduced "re-entry" fees became effective on February 12, 2004.

Click here to see more quarantine & Hawaii resident pet information



MWR Pet Kennels
The USAG-HI Morale, Welfare and Recreation Pet Kennel is available for your cats and dogs. The kennel is located at the Halawa State Quarantine site in Halawa Valley. Look for the sign "MWR Pet Kennel." For more information, click here.

Re-Entry Fee Requirements: For pets re-entering Hawaii after completing a Hawaii animal quarantine program, click here for requirements to qualify for the reduced "Re-entry" fee for Direct Airport Release or 5-day or-less quarantine.

Auto Registration

Bringing your car to Hawaii? You need to take a number of steps. Privately Owned Vehicles (POV) will be shipped to Sand Island, Honolulu, located close to the Honolulu International Airport. The Vehicle Processing Center can provide information on the shipping status of your vehicle.

The Phone number for inbound POV is (808) 848-8383.

All automobiles used on the highway must be registered with the state within ten days of arrival. You may keep your original plates, but you must register to get a Hawaii vehicle sticker. Proof of ownership or a certificate of registration; shipping documents, Hawaii no fault insurance and proof of a safety inspection is required.

Safety Inspection
Hawaii requires annual safety inspections. For inspection, bring a valid identification card and a Non-resident Certificate Form to one of the state’s authorized inspection stations.

Driver's License
Hawaii recognizes other state driver’s licenses. When your license expires, if you wish to apply for a Hawaii driver’s license, you must present your Social Security Card, and a current out-of-state license. If your out-of-state license has expired, you will be required to file an application form, complete a written examination, pass an eye test, and pass a road test.

Personal Documents

Hint: Make sure your important personal documents are not packed with your belongings. Carry them with you in your carry on baggage.

Family Documents
Marriage Certificate
Birth certificates of family members
Adoption papers
Divorce papers
Previous discharge papers
Death certificates
Annulments of any previous marriages
Citizenship papers
Children’s report cards
Shot records
Child custody documents
Medical records
Armed Forces identification cards
Any other personal documents or papers

Financial Documents
Savings account books
Checking account books
Names and addresses of companies where you recently opened or closed accounts
Bills due during the time you move
Copy of application for allotment (if any)

Ownership Documents
Property deeds
Motor vehicle ownership papers deeds with registration
Stock certificates
Government and civilian insurance documents
Vehicle no-fault insurance policies
PCS documents
Household goods shipping and storage documents

DoD Housing Referral System

Your Army Community Service is prepared to provide counseling and assist your family member in finding a job. Please click here to learn more.

There is a residential requirement for state government employment, but none for federal. Civil Service employment is normally confined to those already established in the islands. For information on Non-Appropriated employment, click here for the site.

Apply for jobs, build your resume, find an ideal job, or explore exciting federal, state, local and private sector career options that match your interests. The following are additional employment sites:

Joint Employment Management System
Federal Employment Database
Department of the Navy Human Resources
Army Civilian Personnel
U.S. Customs Service
HireNet Hawaii
State of Hawaii Employment

State licenses are required for certain professional and vocational occupations. To obtain specific information concerning qualifications and requirements contact:

Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs
State of Hawaii
P.O. Box 3469
Honolulu, HI 96801
Phone (808) 586-3000

Hawaii School Information

For resources to provide parents with information to help make the transition to Hawaii easier, click here.

Hawaii School Registration
Children registering in Hawaii for the first time need:
1. Birth Certificate
2. Report card and/or records from their previous school
3. Medical records, including:

  • Examination by a licensed physician within 12 months of date entering school
  • Current and up-to-date immunization records
  • Tuberculosis clearance test within 12 months of date entering school

4. Students entering 7th grade need the chicken pox immunization

Family and MWR NEWS