On behalf of Garrison Hawaii’s Soldiers and Families, the Family and Morale, Welfare, and Recreation (Family and MWR) Directorate sincerely appreciates the phenomenal outpouring of community support over the years – and particularly since 9/11 and the military’s full engagement in the Global War on Terrorism.
Literally, on a daily basis, we are asked:
“How can we give?”
“Who can we give to?”
“If we want to send items to the troops, how can that be done?”
Giving to Garrison Hawaii’s Soldiers and their Families is easy. And as a company, organization, or as an individual, you have many options. We want to emphasize that whatever option you choose, we will help facilitate the process - - but ultimately it is ENTIRELY your choice.
You may give a “gift” (or donation) to the Army in several ways. Or you can participate in the Army’s and Garrison Hawaii’s Family and MWR Sponsorship Program and receive recognition for your support.
Here are some of the basics - -
You, your company, or organization can support Garrison Hawaii’s Soldiers and Families directly by providing monetary or in-kind support for events, services, or programs offered by Garrison Hawaii Family and MWR – and through Sponsorship, you may receive recognition in return. It’s important to note that the Department of Defense allows ONLY its Family and MWR programs to solicit and accept Commercial Sponsorship.
There are many Family and MWR programs and events to choose from. For example, funding would be welcomed for Family and MWR hosted free events for the Families of Garrison Hawaii Soldiers through our many annual events including Family Fun Fest, Holiday Fun Fest and Holiday Tree Lighting Ceremony, as well as the 4th of July Spectacular - just to name a few. Also, funding and in-kind support could be offered through Commercial Sponsorship to help Family and MWR provide better enhancement to programs and events.
The major differences between Sponsorship and a Donation are:
- SPONSORSHIP: A business, organization, or individuals who provide direct support for Family and MWR events/programs can receive recognition and conduct on-site advertising during the sponsored event or program.
- DONATION: Donors may not be officially recognized through the media or publicity events. A donation must be anonymous and offered unconditionally. The Department of the Army is prohibited from making public announcement of the gifts received (Army Regulation 1-101 para 7 (4) and (5).
- SPONSORSHIP: A sponsor may choose any Family and MWR program they wish to support. The sponsor chooses which program to support with the stipulation that ONLY MWR programs as defined in Army Regulation (AR) 215-1 may solicit and accept sponsorship.
- DONATION: The installation Commander, not the donor, decides which program receives the gifts. (Army Regulation 1-101 para 7 b)
If you, your business, or organization would like to invest in the Army Family and MWR Sponsorship Program, please contact Garrison Hawaii’s Family and MWR Marketing office at (808) 656-3318 or (808) 656-3319. Your point of contact is Mr. Tim Pugh.
All offers of gifts or donations must be made in writing. This is so they may receive the appropriate (required!) legal review, and a written approval of acceptance.
There are five basic types of gifts or donation offers the Army is most often asked about. They are:
- Gifts or donations to Army Family and Morale, Welfare, and Recreation Programs. The Garrison Family and MWR Director may accept unconditional gifts of any amount up to $15,000. The Garrison Commander may accept unconditional gifts of any amount up to $50,000. The IMCOM Region Director may accept gifts of up to $100,000. Gifts over that amount require the Secretary of the Army’s approval.
- Gifts or donations for select Army Community Services Family Programs, Family Readiness Groups (FRG), or the Soldier and Family Assistance Center (SFAC). Subject to the same guidelines as Family and MWR programs listed above.
- The FRG Supplemental Mission Account – Established to accept unsolicited donations or gifts made to the Army and intended for FRG or military family support For more detailed information regarding the FRG Supplemental Mission Activity Funds, click here.
- Army Community Service (ACS) Supplemental Mission Overall Program account. Established to accept unsolicited donations or gifts intended for ACS programs. Another ACS Supplemental Mission Account for AFAP, AFTB, and IVS also exists; however, an exception to ACS policy for obtaining commercial sponsorship was made for these programs exclusively. Companies may now sponsor these programs and obtain advertising in exchange for their support.
- Gifts or donations intended for direct distribution to Soldiers.
- Limited to goods and services, i.e. Soldier comfort kits or items, phone cards, food (preferably non-perishable), holiday packages, electronic devices.
- No dollar limit is placed on these sorts of goods offered.
- Cash to Soldiers is not authorized.
- Donor is usually required to pay transportation costs for goods offered.
- The Senior Mission Commander and Garrison Commander have been delegated the authority to accept this category of gift.
- Gifts or donations offered to SFAC, which in turn supports Wounded Warriors or their Families
- Applies to active duty service members and DoD employees who incurred illnesses/injuries as a result of armed conflict or other circumstance while on active duty on or after 11 Sep 2001…and their Families.
- Wounded Warriors and Families may not solicit donations.
- Wounded Warriors and Families offered unsolicited donations/gifts should talk with an Ethics Counselor to ensure that it is authorized.
- For more detailed information regarding donations or gifts to SFAC, click here.
- Gifts or donations offered directly to the Department of the Army. Established so that the Secretary of the Army can accept gift offers over $1K and for gifts to the Fisher Houses. This includes real or personal property, or gifts with monetary value. Subject to AR 1-100.
The Garrison Hawaii’s Family and MWR Directorate is committed to facilitate the gift giving process, or if you choose, Commercial Sponsorship of Family and MWR programs. We will help you through the process, and while giving is not difficult, there are certain parameters that have to be followed - - such as the requirement for a written offer of donation, acceptance of the offer, and receiving of appropriate legal review. Thank you for your interest in supporting Soldiers and Families at Garrison Hawaii.
Steve Takekawa, Chief, Marketing (808) 656-3319
Kristy Kalili, Outreach Program Coordinator (808) 655-8432
Tim Pugh, Commercial Sponsorship Manager (808) 656-3318
- AR 1-100 http://www.apd.army.mil/pdffiles/r1_100.pdf
- AR 1-101 http://www.usma.army.mil/Protocol/images/AR1-101.pdf
- AR 215-1 http://www.apd.army.mil/pdffiles/r215_1.pdf
- Gifts to the Army http://giftstoarmy.army.mil/